Radon Gas

Even though Pleasant Air does not perform any testing for radon, it is an issue for those of us that call North Carolina home.

  • Radon is a naturally occurring, radioactive gas found in soil and rock. It seeps into homes through cracks in the foundation, walls and joints.
  • In some parts of the country, ground water can be a major source of radon. All homes should be tested for radon.
  • Learn more about radon in ground water and drinking water.
  • Among non-smokers, radon is the leading cause of lung cancer in the United States.
  • Lung cancer due to radon exposure claims about 21,000 U.S. lives annually, based on EPA estimates.
  • More information about radon exposure and lung cancer.
  • In many cases lung cancer can be prevented; this is especially true for radon-related lung cancer.
  • Using common materials and straightforward techniques, builders can construct new homes that are resistant to radon entry.

Every home in North Carolina is prone to having a level of radon gas and the N.C. Radon Program recommends that ALL HOMES be tested. This includes apartments, mobile homes, homes with basements, and homes without basements. Testing your home for radon gas will help you determine the amount of radon you may be breathing.

Testing your home for radon is as simple as opening a package, placing a radon detector in a designated area, and after the prescribed number of days (usually 2-7 days), sealing the detector back in the package and mailing it to a lab for evaluation. Radon is measured in picocuries per liter of air (pCi/L), a measurement of radioactivity. The U.S. EPA and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend that homes with radon levels at or above 4 pCi/L be repaired to reduce the amount of radon entering the indoor air. You may order your kit by clicking here.

You may also have a trained and certified radon service professional conduct the measurement in your home. It is highly recommended that anyone having their home measured or mitigated for radon have it done by someone that is certified by either the National Radon Proficiency Program (NRPP) or the National Radon Safety Board (NRSB). The EPA recognizes these two agencies for certification purposes.

Compliance Settings
Increase Font Size
Simplified Font
Underline Links
Highlight Links